Monday, March 10, 2008

A spark...

“One generation will commend your works to another; they will tell of your mighty acts.” Psalm 145:4

One of the first things that struck me upon moving to Tallahassee from Texas was the amount of homeless people here. Someone explained to me that being in a warm climate, next to an interstate, and having 3 Universities with plenty of open restrooms and showers attracts many of them.

I started noticing one frail lady daily on the corner of Tennessee, if you live in Tally you might have seen her, she’s pencil thin, tanned and everytime I’ve seen her she has a towel wrapped around her head.

One day I was sitting at the intersection watching her and thinking what would happen if I gave her $2,000. She probably doesn’t have a bank account. With that much cash she’ll probably get mugged. How many times has she been beaten for a buck? Where could she stay for any extended period of time for $2,000? Does that help her in the long run? How do I make a difference? Then, God reminded me of this verse.

"For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home." Matthew 25:35

Could I do that? Am I at that point in my faith? Could I be that obedient? Would I take that kind of risk?

Well, I didn’t. But, God had me “chew on” that verse for sometime. I even shared my struggle from the stage and confessed my lack of whatever that kept me from opening my home to a stranger.

Today, one of our family members, who God has transformed, shared with me how God used that in her own life. She said that while I was sharing what God was doing in my heart, she was convicted about a homeless guy she knew. So, what did she do? She had the courage to be obedient to that “gentle whisper” and she invited him in. No way, yeah I know! Is she crazy? I ask the question all the time, “what are you doing that makes absolutely no sense unless there is a heaven”, well she answered that!!

The guy she invited in had been strung out on crystal meth, but was now clean. He’s been sober now for a little over a year because of a personal encounter with our great God. He started coming to FOTH, serving immediately and has become an integral part of setting up our services every week!

Every week I have the joy of looking into their tear filled eyes and seeing my Savior! I love watching the chains come off!

God started a spark in me that became a raging, all-consuming fire in another!

J and D, you guys rock! Thanks for being my brother and sister in Christ, to Him be the glory forever and ever!

Live to tell of His mighty acts!

No comments: